We have more information and resources available in the following topic areas:
Preparing For Death/Legal Considerations
Providing information regarding legal matters for clarity and peace of mind for yourself and your family.
These matters include:
- Enduring Power of Guardianship
- Advance Health Directive
- Enduring Power of Attorney
- Voluntary Assisted Dying
- Organ Donation
- Whole Body Donation
Providing a welcoming, comfortable and safe space to foster sharing experiences, and learning that death, dying and grieving is a natural process of life.
The café’s objective is to increase awareness of death with a view to helping people make the most of their lives.
Assisting those wishing to make their own coffin and taking the opportunity to discuss death and dying matters.
Spiritual Dying Support
Creating a ‘sacred’ space to allow people to die in peace with themselves, with their families, with their faith, with their community.
Dealing With Grief
Offering short-term supportive presence to our fellow community members experiencing a current grief or loss situation.
Options Upon Dying
Providing information to assist people:
- Immediately after the death of a loved one
- Guidelines for caring for a body at home
- Guidelines for working with funeral directors, celebrants and clergy
- Guidelines for obtaining a Single Funeral Permit—Burials or Cremations
Aiming for an environmentally friendly way of being interred in the earth. Exploring and investigating what alternatives are available in the community and region. Investigating whether it is possible to be buried outside of a WA State legislated cemetery, e.g., on private property. Continuing to liaise with the AMR Shire to have a Natural Burial Site in the region.
Here are some further on-line resources to explore.
- South West Grief and Loss Centre
- Palliative Care Western Australia
- Busselton Hospice Care Inc
- Carer Support – Australian Government
- South West Compassionate Communities Network
- National Compassionate Communities Network
- Advance Care Planning
- River Angels – supporting families affected by cancer who live in Margaret River
- ABC Radio Perth: Forum on Voluntary Assisted Dying in WA
- The Departure Lounge: Departures
- NPR: TED Radio Hour – Rethinking Death
- Palliative Care Victoria: Spiritual Care
- Favourite songs relating to death and dying, from the 2020 Dying2Learn – Spotify